The demand for qualified, well trained and skilled veterinary technicians (vet techs) is large and growing larger. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a growing demand for vet techs. In Illinois, licensed vet techs enjoy a broad range of employment opportunities. In cities veterinarians and vet techs serve a growing pet population and in rural areas, livestock as well as pets require veterinary care. Vet techs also assist in medical research.
In order to become a licensed veterinary technician, you will need to complete a two or three year program at a school accredited by American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). You will usually earn an Associate’s degree at the end of such a program.
In Illinois all Illinois veterinary technicians must: 1. Complete an academic program approved by the American Veterinary Medical Association, and 2. Pass the Technician Veterinary National Examination.
While some of the courses at a veterinarian tech school are available online, much of the training vet tech’s require is hands on and practical. Students acquire skills like venipuncture (taking blood samples), urine collection, taking skin samples, taking radiographs; and laboratory tests and procedures relating to hematology, biochemistry, chemistry, microbiology, urinalysis, and serology. Vet techs students also learn how to assist the veterinarian in surgical and medical procedures.
Applicants can take the exam before finishing the academic requirements but the exam results will be voided if proof of graduation is not provided within 90 days of the expected date of graduation.
Illinois Veterinary Licensing and Disciplinary Board
320 West Washington
Springfield, IL 62786
Find Illinois vet tech schools that can help you obtain a license as a veterinary technician.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- illinois veterinary technician license
- illinois vet tech license requirements
- veterinary technician certification illinois
- illinois vet tech license
- vet tech certification illnois requirements
- vet tech certification illinois
- do you need to be certified to work as a vet tech in illinois
- illinois vet tech association
- illinois qualifications vet tech
- illinois license requirements for veterinarian
The most recent search terms used on Technical Schools Guide:
- best trade careers
- electrical technical girl
- Top 20 Trade Careers
- best trade jobs
- gunsmith jobs and duties
- what you need to know to work engineer
- electrician meme
- what trade is right for me
- individualistic doer careers
- veterinary technician license in Iowa