A gunsmith is a person who has specialized in gun repair, design, modification, maintenance and construction. Gunsmithing schools are available and different courses are offered depending on a student’s interest. In a technical or trade gunsmith school, a student can learn basic training. This may include learning about specific types of guns or how to customize guns. Some colleges and universities offer courses as well, and these are a bit broad. They include general gunsmithing, gun repair and custom gunsmithing. Degree courses entail lessons in gun diagnostics, firearms manufacturing, and gun refurbishing. Another way to become a gunsmith is to attend an online gunsmithing school. Personal tutors do also take up students who are interested in gunsmithing.
A gunsmith course does not take long to complete. To become a certified gunsmith, a student must attend a gunsmith school that offers an array of courses. Some of the courses include:
• Gunsmithing tools
• Basic stock making
• Barrel fitting or alteration
• General gunsmithing repair
• Rifle stock making
• Handgun technology
• Advanced repair technology
• Current repair technology
• Gunmetal refinishing
Other courses include:
- Machine shop – This course entails cutting, fabricating and finishing gun parts. Gunsmithing schools that have machine shops will train students on how to create new parts and repair any broken parts.
- Metal finishing – Guns usually have that clean, smooth finish. This is another course students get to learn.
- Diagnosing firearm problems and repair – An online gunsmithing school may not be able to offer a practical course for this program but students learn how to fix different problems on firearms.
- Stock making and finishing – The course has to do with building the stock of a firearm and working on the finishing as well.
Gunsmithing is not limited to a certain group of people. If you have an educational or occupational interest in firearms, you can enroll in any gunsmithing school. This will get you the necessary training to get a job in the industry. As noted, each school offers specific courses. So, go through the curriculum to ensure they have what you want to be trained on Technology has changed much of what is in the firearms market today. So, look for gunsmithing schools that have modern equipment with the latest technology. An online gunsmithing school will give you training in theory. To get practical lessons, which are necessary for the trade, enroll for a short course in a local school.
A gunsmith has to observe a lot of state and federal laws. It is imperative for any student attending a gunsmithing school to understand these laws. In addition, there are licenses necessary to get into this trade. Besides a firearms license, there is the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms license that must be issued. These licenses must be valid, and they require renewing after a period of three years.