A Veterinary tech works closely with the veterinarian, assisting with the animals and doing administrative tasks in the office. There are certain requirements that must be met to become a vet tech and then to obtain a Virginia vet tech license. Each state has specific requirements for the vet tech license, including Virginia, so that is why each student must apply for the license in the state where they will work.
If you love animals and helping them to recover, a Virginia vet tech job would be perfect for you. The U.S. Dept of Labor projects that in the next ten years a vet techs positions will increase 33%, so this means job availability is good. Veterinarians typically treat certain kinds of animals, such as small animals like cats and dogs, or large animals like horses and cattle, and other farm animals. In Virginia, there will be both veterinarians’ practices to work and learn in.
In order to obtain a Virginia vet tech license, these requirements must be met.
- Applicant must have a high school diploma or a GED.
- Then they must take a two year program accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association and receive an Associate’s Degree.
- The training and education that is received from the Associate’s Degree should prepare the student for the Veterinary Technician National Examination or the VTNE. This is a four hour state examination that covers topics on surgical prep and assisting, pharmacology, dentistry, animal care and nursing, laboratory procedures, and anesthesia.
- When this exam is successfully passed, you are invited to register in the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Now you are ready for your first position as a Virginia vet tech.
Virginia Board of Veterinary Medicine
9960 Mayland Dr. Suite 300
Richmond, VA 23233
Find Virginia vet tech schools that can help you obtain a license as a veterinary technician.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- veterinary technician schools in richmond va
- veterinary technician schools richmond va
- vet tech schools in richmond va
- virginia veterinary technician license requirements
- veterinary technician exam virginia
- virginia licensed veterinary technician
- veterinary technicians licensing exam in virginia
- virginia vet tech license
- veterinary technician licensing in virginia
- veterinary assistant training programs richmond va